Last month November 16th, 2016, Microsoft announced its first Community Technology Preview of next release of SQL Server, called SQL Server vNext. This release will run not only on Windows but also no Linux, Docker, or macOS (via Docker).
Here is the download link for SQL Server vNext CTP 1.0
Sneak peak: New features and enhancements
- Addition of new compatibility level 140
- Improvement in incremental statistics update threshold (available through new database COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL 140)
- Addition of new DMVs: sys.dm_exec_query_statistics_xml (return live query plan and execution statistics for the running batch), sys.dm_os_host_info (provide operating system information for both Windows and Linux)
- Many performance and language enhancements to In-Memory tables:
- Support for more than 8 indexes
- Support for sp_spaceused, sp_rename, CASE statement, TOP (N) WITH TIES
- Clustered Columnstore Indexes now support LOB columns (nvarchar(max), varchar(max), varbinary(max)).
- New function: STRING_AGG()
- Database roles are created with R Services for managing permissions associated with packages
- Addition for new Japanese Collation
- Microsoft R Server and SQL Server R Services provide a variety of new features to enhance integration of R with SQL Server and the Microsoft BI stack
Integration Services (SSIS)
- Support Scale Out of SSIS – easier to run SSIS package on multiple machines
- Support for Microsoft Dynamics Online Resources – connection to Microsoft Dynamics AX Online and Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online thru OData source and connection manager
- Microsoft’s Official Announcement
- vNext Release Notes
- What’s new in vNext Release
- SQL Server on Linux documentation to get you started with Linux installation.
- vNext CTP 1.0 direct ISO download